Terms and Conditions
“Confidential Information” means any information obtained from you, the disclosing party, which ought reasonably to be considered as confidential and cannot be divulged to a third party without your consent provided that this clause shall not extend to information (a) which is disclosed or obtained lawfully for the purposes of obtaining a service and/or completing the necessary process to receive a service provided by the GoBh, (b) which is already public knowledge or becomes so at a future date (otherwise than as a result of a breach of this clause) (c) which is expressly marked as confidential or which is manifestly of a confidential nature or which is confirmed in writing to be confidential within 7 days of its disclosure. “Data” means any data inputted by You into the Portal and the processed data that is made available to You as a direct result of Your use of the Portal.
“Disclosing Party” means You, the participant.
“Government Service” means (and/or includes) the execution of mandatory and procedural activities by internal human or system resources which provide valuable output requested or required by an individual whether personally or on behalf of another person and may also include circumstances where the output requested or required is relevant to an entity recognized by law.
“Intellectual Property Right” means any patent, trademark, service mark, copyright, moral right, right in a design, know-how and any other intellectual or industrial property rights, anywhere in the world whether or not registered.
“Loss” means all liabilities, expenses, losses, damages, and costs (including legal costs) and expenses, however arising.
“Participant” means You.
“Portal” means the Internet Portal at the domain https://mygateway.gov.bs.
- RIGHT OF ACCESS
You have the right to access and use the Portal for the intended purpose of requesting Government Services and conduct any matters, functions, or processes related thereto. This right is exclusive only to you and does not allow for you to appoint an individual to act on your behalf as a user under your profile.
- USE OF THE PORTAL
(i) You may use the portal to request and/or apply for a Government Service virtually.
(ii) You may not use any automatic device, program, algorithm, or methodology, or any similar or equivalent manual process, to access, acquire, copy or monitor any portion of the Portal or any Content or in any way reproduce or circumvent the navigational structure or presentation of the Portal or any Content, to obtain or attempt to obtain any materials, documents or information through any means not purposely made available through the Portal. GoBh reserves the right to prohibit any such activity.
(iii) You may not attempt to gain unauthorized access to any portion or feature of the Portal, or any other systems or networks connected to the Portal or to any server, or to any of the services offered on or through the Portal, by hacking, password “mining” or any other illegitimate means.
(iv) You may not probe, scan, or test the vulnerability of the Portal or any network connected to the Portal, nor breach the security or authentication measures on the Portal or any network connected to the Portal.
(v) You may not exploit the Portal, or any service or information made available or offered by or through the Portal, including but not limited to personal identification or information, other than your own information.
- ACCOUNTS, PASSWORDS, SHORT MESSAGE SERVICE, AND SECURITY
(i) Certain features or services offered on or through the Portal will require you to set up an account (including receiving a secured email address) and provide your mobile phone number for the purpose of authenticating your identity by using a one-time password (“OTP”). The OTP will be transmitted through the short message service (“SMS”) by the GoBh to your mobile number and to your email address. You will be required to input the OTP (wherever and whenever applicable that you are informed and requested to do so) when you use the Portal to access any service.
(ii) You may exercise the option to obtain status updates by SMS on applications for Government Services made on the Portal. You must provide an accurate mobile phone number and ensure that your mobile phone number is able to receive SMS text messages in order to receive the OTP or obtain status updates on applications for Government Services made on the Portal. You will be solely responsible for any fee imposed by your mobile phone service provider for the transmitting SMS text messages.
(iii) You acknowledge that the time to deliver the SMS is dependent on several factors, such as the traffic on your mobile network. GoBh is not a mobile network operator and therefore does not guarantee the delivery of SMS text messages.
(iv) You acknowledge that GoBh is not responsible or liable for any loss, damage or expenses incurred directly or indirectly by you as a result of any difficulties experienced by your mobile phone service provider.
(v) You must not disclose to a third party the OTP or any status updates that are transmitted to your mobile phone number, and you must ensure that your mobile phone number is protected from unauthorized use by any third parties.(vi) You acknowledge that using another person’s mobile phone number or providing an inaccurate mobile phone number may entail disclosure of your confidential information. You accept sole liability for such disclosure and agree to indemnify, defend, and hold GoBh harmless from any third-party claims, liability, damages, or costs arising from your use of the SMS service or from you providing an inaccurate mobile phone number.
(vii) You must not use the SMS service to send any text message or communication which is spam, illegal, offensive, abusive, indecent, obscene, or menacing or causes annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety or infringes on the rights of third parties. You acknowledge that GoBh reserves the right to withdraw the SMS service if you are in breach of these terms and conditions. GoBh may also withdraw the SMS service if GoBh in its sole discretion apprehends that the SMS service is being used for such aforementioned purposes.
(viii) You must ensure that your username and passwords required to access the Portal are kept secure and confidential. Your username and password issued to you must not be shared. You are entirely responsible for maintaining the confidentiality of the information you hold for your account, including your password.
(ix) You accept liability for any and all activity that occurs under your account as a result of your failing to keep this information secure and confidential. You agree to notify GoBh immediately where you suspect any unauthorized use of your account or password, or any other breach of security.
(x) You must not attempt to undermine the security or integrity of the Portal; use, or misuse, the Portal in any way which may, impair the Portal or impair the ability of any other user to use the Portal, including using the Portal in a malicious, fraudulent or unlawful manner; attempt to gain unauthorized access; attempt to modify, copy, adapt, reproduce, disassemble, decompile or reverse engineer any aspect of the Portal.
- YOUR OBLIGATIONS
(i) You should only access the Portal for your own lawful purposes connected with requesting and/or receiving Government Services or utilizing any of the functions provided by the Portal and intended for your use.
(ii) You are required to take all necessary actions to protect the confidentiality of your login information.
(iii) You agree that GoBh may review Your use of the Portal at any time, and You will provide any reasonable assistance to verify Your compliance with this Agreement.
(iv) If You use any communication tools available through the Portal (such as a message board), You agree only to use such communication tools for lawful and legitimate purposes. You must not use any such communication tool for posting or disseminating any material unrelated to the use of the Portal, and in particular to use non-verbal language that may be seen as pervasive intimidating, hostile or offensive and/or unsolicited commercial e-mail, or files.
(v) You agree and acknowledge that You are responsible for ensuring the accuracy of Data inputted into the Portal by You (including but not limited to your mobile phone number). GoBh is under no obligation to ensure that Your Data in the Portal is accurate.
(vi) You agree and acknowledge that You are responsible for updating your information in the Portal where changes may occur. E.g., name change, change of mobile phone number, changes in address. GoBh is under no obligation to ensure that Your Data is updated when changes occur. Your failure to provide any required information may result in your inability to access any service on the Portal.
- CONFIDENTIALITY AND PRIVACY
(i) Unless the relevant party has the prior written consent of the other or unless required to do so by law each party will preserve the confidentiality of all Confidential Information obtained in connection with these Terms. Neither party will, without the prior written consent of the other, disclose or make any Confidential Information available to any person, or use the same for its own benefit, other than as expressly contemplated by these Terms and/or to provide the requested Government Service.
(iv) The GoBh, however, is authorized by you to use the data you provide for an additional Government Service. You grant GoBh the permission to use, copy, transmit, store, and back- up Your Data for the purposes of enabling You to access and use Government Services and for any other purpose related to the provision of Government Services to You, and matters ancillary thereto by prescribed technologies.
- DUTY TO DISCLOSE
GoBh may disclose any information we have about you (including your identity) if we determine that such disclosure is necessary in connection with any investigation or complaint regarding your use of the Portal, or to identify, contact or bring legal action against someone who may be causing injury to or interference with (either intentionally or unintentionally) the rights or property of the GoBh. GoBh is under a statutory duty to disclose any information deemed necessary in order to comply with any applicable law, regulation, or court process.
- INTELLECTUAL PROPERTY
(i) All text, graphics, user interfaces, visual interfaces, photographs, trademarks, logos, sounds, music, artwork and computer code (collectively, “Content”), including but not limited to the design, structure, selection, coordination, expression, “look and feel” and arrangement of such Content, contained on the Portal is owned and/or controlled by the GoBh, and is protected by intellectual property rights and laws.
- DELETION OF DATAShould you choose to discontinue using the Portal or GoBh otherwise suspends and/or terminates Your access to the Portal, GoBh in its discretion reserves the right, to either (a) delete Your data or (b) archive Your data for a period of time as designated by the Public Records Act, 1971 or such legislation that may seek to repeal, amend or replace same.
- ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS AND DISCLAIMERS
(i) You acknowledge and agree that GoBh gives no warranty about the Portal and, without limiting the foregoing, GoBh does not warrant that the use of the Portal will be uninterrupted or error free. Among other things, the operation and availability of the systems used for accessing the Portal, including telephone services, computer networks and the Internet, can be unpredictable and may from time to time interfere with or prevent access to the Portal. GoBh is not in any way responsible for any such interference or prevention of Your access or use of the Portal.(ii) All information provided on the portal is subject to change without notice.(iii) GoBh disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the Portal, including any loss, damages or expenses of any kind incurred or suffered by you arising from or in connection with any failure, delay or interruption in transmitting OTPs or any suspension or unavailability of the OTP due to any failure of your mobile service network or any other force majeure events such as matters which are beyond our reasonable control.(iv) GoBh is not liable for any indirect, special, incidental, consequential, punitive or exemplary loss or damages, including loss of profits, loss of business, loss due to business interruption or loss of any software programme or hardware equipment or data in your mobile device or computer equipment and their systems.(v) GoBh reserves the right to do any of the following, at any time: without notice to modify, suspend or terminate operation of or access to the Portal, or any portion of the Portal, for any reason and to interrupt the operation of the Portal, or any portion of the Portal, as necessary to perform routine or non-routine maintenance, error correction, or other changes.
- LIMITATION OF LIABILITY
You agree to indemnify GoBh against all losses (direct or consequential) that may incur arising out of or in connection with Your breach of any of these Terms.
- HELP DESKYou are entitled to technical support. GoBh will endeavour to address all queries and requests for assistance received via email at firstname.lastname@example.org but does not warrant that support will be immediately available.
- GOVERNING LAW
You agree that all matters relating to your access to or use of the Portal, including all disputes, will be governed by the laws of the Commonwealth of The Bahamas.
Participants must read the information below and agree to the terms and conditions by clicking in the box provided. By clicking the box provided you are indicating that you understand the terms of this agreement and you have accepted those terms.
The Government of The Bahamas aims to provide an efficient way to deliver services online. Delivery of these services requires interaction with personal data unique to the user of the website. The Government of The Bahamas maintains its commitment to ensure compliance with the Data Protection (Privacy of Personal Information) Act, 2003 (referred to as “the Act”).
Reference to the Government of The Bahamas in this document, includes reference to the Ministries, Departments and Agencies owned and operated, managed, and/or controlled by the Government of The Bahamas.
What do we collect?
- The GoBh may collect from you personal data and information. Personal data and/or information may include your name, address, email address, telephone numbers, and date of birth. GoBh may also collect information that you may provide in order to receive a government services, such as government issued identification numbers.
How do we collect your data?
- In order to effectively provide Government Services to you, your data may be collected from a number of sources. We may collect it directly from you through MyGateway or alternatively from one of our Ministries, Departments, and/or Agencies that you may have provided data to, or via a third party (with your consent).
When we collect your data, what do we use it for?
- When we collect your data we process it to:-
- Register you online for the delivery of Government Services;
- Send you notifications regarding Government Services, in particular, the services you may have requested;
- Compare the information you have provided for the purposes of verification; or
- Prevent, detect or investigate offences
- If you agree, we will share your data with private companies and quasi-government agencies in order to provide a more efficient way for you to access services in These companies and agencies may include:-
- National Insurance Board
- Bahamas Power and Light Company
- Water and Sewerage Corporation
- Utilities Regulation and Competition Authority
- Registered Insurance Companies and their Intermediaries
- Registered Financial Service Institutions
- When we process your data we will send it to our Ministries, Departments and/or Agencies so that they are able to provide you with a government service. This processing may include the GoBh creating a digital profile of you to avoid duplication.
- The data you provide to the GoBh will not be used for marketing unless we get your express authorization to do so. In circumstances, where you have provided your consent, you may request at any time that your data no longer be used for marketing.
What happens when you provide your data to us?
- The GoBh must process your data within the Commonwealth of The Bahamas unless express authorization is granted by the Data Protection Commissioner for the data to be processed otherwise.
- The GoBh must collect your data lawfully and ensure that the data provided is accurate and kept current.
- The GoBh cannot fulfill this obligation if the data you provide is not accurate and/or you fail or neglect to advise of changes to the data provided.
- The GoBh must inform you of the reasons why the data is collected and kept. This data cannot be used for a purpose that is not relevant to the purpose disclosed to you. GoBh cannot disclose your personal data to another individual without your consent, except where the data disclosed does not personally identify you or the data must be disclosed in accordance with the Act.
- The GoBh is under a duty to ensure that an accurate record is made of the data you provide and in certain circumstances provide a disclosure statement where the information is received from a third party.
- Notwithstanding, the GoBh may be under a legal duty to disclose the information provided and in those instances the GoBh must adhere to the laws of the Commonwealth of The Bahamas.
What are your obligations concerning the data you provide?
- The data you provide to the GoBh must belong to you. In circumstances where you may be authorized by an individual to provide that data, you agree to follow the instructions of that individual and only use the data as instructed.
- The data you provide must be accurate, and provided to the best of your knowledge, information and belief. You are required to review the data to check for any errors or omissions.
What are your rights to your data?
- Your data rights are protected by the Act, which fully prescribes your rights as a data subject
- Right to access – You have the right to view your data at any time , provided that the website is functional and internet service is accessible. You have the right to issue a written request to the GoBh to determine whether the data kept includes personal data relating to you. You may also request a copy of the information and where necessary an explanation of the terms on which the data is kept.
- Right to Adjust the Data – Where applicable, you may access the system to correct or amend data previously provided. Alternatively, you may request that the GoBh make adjustments to the data provided by you to ensure that the data is accurate and up to date at all times.
- Right to Restrict Use – At anytime, you may notify the GoBh that you no longer wish to use the website or request to have your data erased from the website. The GobH is under a duty to comply with your request.
- Right to Data Transfer – You have the right to request that your data be transferred to another agency. There may be a fee associated with this transfer.
What are cookies and are they associated with the website?
- Cookies are files placed on your computer to collect internet log information and visitor behaviour information. When you visit our website we may collect information from you through our cookies for statistical purposes.
- The GoBh will continue to review and update this policy to ensure consistency with local legislation and established practices around data privacy, protection and sharing.
How to contact us if there is an issue or concern?
- If you have an issue or concern about this policy, the data we will receive, process and/or store, please do not hesitate to contact us. Where necessary you may also contact the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner. Please see below for contact information:
Data Protection Commissioner
North Building, First Floor
31A East Bay Street
Nassau, The Bahamas Tel: 242 – 604 – 1000